From Dwarf Fortress Wiki
Gem cutting, Gem setting
- Cut Gems
- Encrust with Gems
 Common Uses
- Cut rough gems into something usable.
- Decorate objects with gems to make them more valuable.
- Make ordinary beds, cabinets, tables, etc. more aesthetic for better quality rooms.
- Rough gems are always more valuable when cut; however some dwarves will demand rough gems during a strange mood, so it is best not to cut all your gems.
- When adding a task to cut/encrust gems, the tasks are generally ordered by gem value, from least valuable to most valuable (in reality, they appear in the order in which they are defined in the raw file "inorganic_stone_gem.txt", which is roughly grouped by rarity).
- It's a good idea to let your Gem setter train with low-value gems, cut stone cabochons, or glass (which can be manufactured) and only encrust with high-value gems after reaching legendary status, as there's a much better chance they will produce a masterpiece which is 12 times as valuable.
- Cut gems do not have quality, however a skilled gem cutter will occasionally produce gem crafts instead of a normal cut gem. This means it is actually best to have a novice gem cutter cut your rarest gems (unless your goal is a valuable trinket).
- The entire right column of the workshop is composed of impassable tiles, making it easy to accidentally trap dwarves inside the workshop after it is built.
- You may also cut normal stones in the jeweler's workshop. These stones will always come out as cabochons while other gems will come out as cut gems. The difference being that a cabochon is just a cut and polished stone, where as a gem is a gem. Some rough gems are also always cut as cabochons, this is dependent on the opacity or transparency of the stone.Verify
- While you can increase the value of crafts by cutting valuable stones such as obsidian or various ores (platinum, silver, or gold) into cabochons and then encrusting your crafts with these stones, it is almost always better to smelt the ore and stud the crafts instead (or just produce more metal crafts).
- The ability to cut all stones makes training gem setters much easier, while also providing a convenient way to dispose of excess stone. This works even better with flux stones and obsidian, since they are 2-3 times as valuable as normal stone.
 See Also
|Workshops & Furnaces|
|Workshops||Ashery - Bowyer - Butcher - Carpenter - Clothier - Craftsdwarf - Dyer - Farmer - Fishery - Jeweler - Kitchen - Leather - Loom - Magma forge - Mason - Mechanic - Metalsmith's forge - Millstone - Quern - Screw press - Siege - Still - Soap - Tanner|
|Furnaces||Glass furnace - Kiln - Magma glass furnace - Magma kiln - Magma smelter - Smelter - Wood furnace|
|Related Articles||Clutter - Kennel - Shop - Trade depot|