DF2014:Known bugs and issues
|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Dwarf Fortress is a constant work in progress, and is thus full of bugs. Some of them are minor and completely harmless, some are small and annoying, and some are major and even game-changing. Some of the best-known bugs are compiled below; an official compilation of all bugs, and their development status, can be found on the bug tracker and an informal poll of the worst bugs is available in the forums. Please do not report bugs here; they should be sent to the Mantis BT instead. If you have issues signing up for the bug tracker, see the forum bug tracker board for instructions (but don't report bugs on the forum either).
Some bugsby a temporary binary patch made by Quietust and other users; most of these fixes were rolled into v0.40.
These bugs can significantly interfere with play.
- : Crash (likely) when Dwarves return from mission (without squad leader?)
- : Visitors arrive very early, ignore visitor cap, and act strangely
- : "an unknown creature is slain" - incident/reputation/identity bugged
- : Crash when a weapon in a trap is destroyed by wear -- fixed v0.44.01
- : Crash when a ballista arrow is destroyed by wear -- fixed v0.44.01
- : Crash when filtering material type condition in work order
: Tavern keeper/performers repeatedly serve alcohol until patrons drink themselves to death
- Workaround: do not assign tavern keepers or performers
- : Caravans/invasions do not come reliably from accessible civilizations
: Caravans/invasions sometimes get "stuck" off-map
- Workaround: teleport merchants on to map with dfhack
- Workaround: save prior to arrival, and reload until the caravan successfully appears
: Tiny undead creatures immune to pulping, ridiculously difficult to kill -- fixed v0.44.01
- Workaround: cage trap, or destroy with dfhack
: Wounded dwarves die of dehydration if they grab a goblet they can't use
- May be fixed in v0.43.04; needs verification
- Workaround: forbid all goblets so dwarves will drink straight from the barrels
: Morale is screwy.
- Partially fixed in 0.40.10. Bugfixes for morale are ongoing.
- Workaround: mod creatures to have natural Discipline skill
- Workaround: barracks training raises Discipline
- Workaround: continual exposure to sentient corpses raises Discipline (along with feelings of horror)
- : Scared traders immediately scuttle wagons and leave.
- : Dwarves climb trees for no obvious reason, get stuck, and die/fall -- fixed v0.44.01
- : Items in containers are "unavailable" while a dwarf is hauling another item to store in the container
- Fighting berserk citizens and citizen werebeasts causes defenders to lose loyalty.
These bugs are new in recent versions (v0.42+). (There are many more; these are just a few of the most prominent.)
- : NPCs demanding other characters identify themselves in a loop
- : Canceling a mission after some dwarves have left the map prevents them from returning
- : Were-dwarfs stuck in weird spot between injured and healed
- : Ending the display of an item leads to cancellation spam and very low priority transfer to stockpile and to next display place
: Scribes intermittently stop copying works in the library
- Workaround: forbid then unforbid all quires
- : Visiting scholars leave carrying fortress books/scrolls/copies/codices
- : Animals get distracted over time by "unmet needs"
These bugs are not new to v0.42/v0.44, but have been confirmed as still existing.
- wood cutting and combat, or a single pick for both mining and combat. Crossbows in the hands of hunters can also cause problems. : Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers). It is not possible to use a single axe for both
- : Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders. (fixed?)
- : Seriously wounded dwarfs sometimes don't get taken to bed.
- : Weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter.
: Pond/pool populations (e.g. pond turtles) do not replenish, gradually become
- Supposedly fixed in 0.40.01 but reported to still be happening with ponds
- : Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic. This is a long-standing bug that has been slowly but surely rolled back.
- Contaminant physics are strange in Dwarf Fortress; instead of washing away, when exposed to running water, it will actually multiply to other tiles. : Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much.
- waterfalls and die from fall damage because they did not account for the current. : Dodging into river/lava/pit etc. Apparently, dwarves are stupid. Related: they tend to get thrown off of
- cleaning erratically at best. : Dwarves perform
- : Designating large areas for smoothing slows game to a crawl.
: When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes (Windows only).
- Fix: 64-bit version of release v0.43.05 removes the 2GB limit
- Workaround: NTCore's 4GB fix, which will not only increase the memory limit, but will improve performance overall.
- doors causing lag. : Animals repeatedly path through "tightly closed"
- cages when the cages are ordered taken to the trade depot. : Untradeable creatures (hostiles, wild animals) are released from
- : Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors. Medical jobs are too low-priority, and will be ignored in favor of pretty much everything else, hauling included, forcing players that need to administer medical care to disable all other labors; and even then, doctors tend to idle a bit in between their jobs.
: Names overwriting text with TrueType and strange gaps in report texts.
- Workaround: Hitting F12 to toggle True Type can often get you around this problem.
- : Saving fails silently when folder is not writeable (due to full disk, permissions, etc)
- : Flying/swimming/climbing creatures can move vertically-diagonal through walls with down-stairways/twigs above
- : Foreign nobles elevated along with fortress nobles, make regular mandates and demands
- : Dwarf entering a strange mood when isolated (e.g. on a stepladder) causes severe lag
: Dwarves occasionally attempt to perform jobs at a distance, with predictably poor results
- Related to marked as fixed in 0.40.07 -- #7274 needs verification.
- : Sparring dwarves can knock each other through walls with charge attacks.
- : Trees grow through bridges, can make the bridge unusable.
- : Dwarves construct walls from wrong side, wall themselves out of fortress or into alcove
: Problems reported
- : Embark-purchased fruit must be removed from bags for use.
- : Items in a container are "unavailable" while a dwarf is hauling another item to store in that container.
- Corrupted raws will remove brewing options from the still (often occurs when installing outdated mods, including tile sets)