Dwarf Fortress has only one person writing its code. There's a lot of it, and a lot that is quite new, so it's unfortunately inevitable that some imperfections creep in. The game itself is also just extremely complex, and it's easy to become confused.
If other documentation has not helped, you might see the FAQ page.
Unfortunately, DF is not immune to bugs. While Toady fixes them as fast as he can, you might find some workarounds on the known bugs page.
Mantis Bug tracker - Before creating a new bug report, please search the bug tracker first to see if the bug was already reported. When submitting a bug report:
- Make a note of any mods you're using. If you made the mod yourself, include the raws for any relevant objects (use [code] tags).
- If the game is crashing or refusing to open, include any error message that appears, along with your computer specifications and operating system.
- If you have a save that reliably reproduces the bug, it may be helpful to upload the save to the DF File Depot or another file hosting site.
Forums and other resources
Not to worry, there are plenty of DF players out there and they are generally very friendly. Usually they'll gladly help you figure out your particular daunting dwarvish dilemma. Remember to be polite and use a forum's search function to see if your question has previously been asked before making a new post. If you follow this advice then people will be more than thrilled to help.
- Official Forums
- GamingSteve Thread
- Dwarves with a Passion
- Ars Technica
- GamersWithJobs Thread
- SpringRTS Thread
- Canard PC Thread (Fr)
- Ceske a slovenské forum (cz/sk)
- Dwarf Fortress SG Fórum (Hu)
- Baidu Tieba Thread (zh-CN)
- #bay12games on newnet.net
- #df on synirc.net
- #DwarfFortress on quakenet.org
- #DF on tellaerad.net
- #brofortress on rizon.net
- #DwarfFortress on freenode.net (webchat)
- #DwarfFortress on Esper.net