DF2014:Known bugs and issues
|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Dwarf Fortress is a constant work-in-progress, and is thus full of bugs. Some of them are minor and completely harmless, some are small and annoying, and some are major and even game-changing. Some of the best-known bugs are compiled below; an official compilation of all bugs, and their development status, can be found on the Mantis Bug Tracker. Please do not report bugs here; they should be reported on the bug tracker instead. If you have issues signing up for the bug tracker, see the forum bug tracker board for instructions (but don't report bugs on the forum either).
Some bugsby a temporary binary patch made by Quietust and other users; most of these fixes were rolled into v0.40.
These bugs can significantly interfere with play. They may do this by crashing the game, making certain parts of the game unavailable, or giving players a bad time.
: Crash from corrupted military equipment lists (v0.44)
- Workaround: refrain from raiding
: Crash when Dwarves return from mission (v0.44) -- one major cause fixed in v0.44.10
- Workaround: refrain from raiding
: Crash when filtering material type condition in work order
- Workaround: avoid using job manager material selection in large worlds
: Tavern keeper/performers repeatedly serve alcohol until patrons drink themselves to death
- Workaround: do not assign tavern keepers or performers, or do not place any alcohol within the tavern zone
: Caravans/invasions sometimes get "stuck" off-map
- Workaround: teleport merchants on to map with dfhack
- Workaround: save prior to arrival, and reload until the caravan successfully appears
: Morale is screwy -- saves demonstrating morale problems in v0.44.03+ requested
- Workaround: mod creatures to have natural Discipline skill
- Workaround: barracks training raises Discipline
- Workaround: continual exposure to sentient corpses raises Discipline (along with feelings of horror)
- : Scared traders immediately scuttle wagons and leave.
- : Items in containers are "unavailable" while a dwarf is hauling another item to store in the container
- Fighting berserk citizens and citizen werebeasts causes defenders to lose loyalty.
These bugs are new in recent versions (v0.42+). (There are many more; these are just a few of the most prominent.)
- : "Civil war" with parent civilization
- : "Spies" arrive as part of migrant group
- : Were-dwarves stuck in weird spot between injured and healed
- : NPCs demanding other characters identify themselves in a loop
- : Animal people with [MEANDERER] tag move too slowly
- : Visiting scholars leave carrying fortress books/scrolls/copies/codices
These bugs are not new to v0.42/v0.44, but have been confirmed as still existing. (Year numbers in parenthesis.)
- wood cutting and combat, or a single pick for both mining and combat. Crossbows in the hands of hunters can also cause problems. (2010): Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers). It is not possible to use a single axe for both
- (2010): Seriously wounded dwarves sometimes don't get taken to bed.
- (2010): Weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter.
(2010): Pond/pool populations (e.g. pond turtles) do not replenish, gradually become
- Supposedly fixed in 0.40.01 but reported to still be happening with ponds
- (2010): Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic. This is a long-standing bug that has been slowly but surely rolled back.
- Contaminant physics are strange in Dwarf Fortress; instead of washing away, when exposed to running water, they will actually multiply to other tiles. (2010): Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much.
- waterfalls and die from fall damage because they did not account for the current. (2011): Dodging into river/lava/pit etc. Apparently, dwarves are stupid. Related: they tend to get thrown off of
- cleaning erratically at best -- improved in v0.44.06 (2010): Dwarves perform
- (2012): Designating large areas for smoothing slows game to a crawl.
- doors causing lag. (2010): Animals repeatedly path through "tightly closed"
- cages when the cages are ordered taken to the trade depot. (2011): Untradeable creatures (hostiles, wild animals) are released from
- (2010): Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors. Medical jobs are too low-priority, and will be ignored in favor of pretty much everything else, hauling included, forcing players that need to administer medical care to disable all other labors; and even then, doctors tend to idle a bit in between their jobs.
(2012): Names overwriting text with TrueType and strange gaps in report texts.
- Workaround: Hitting F12 to toggle TrueType can often get you around this problem.
- (2010): Saving fails silently when folder is not writeable (due to full disk, permissions, etc)
- (2015): Dwarf entering a strange mood when isolated (e.g. on a stepladder) causes severe lag
- (2014): Trees grow through bridges, can make the bridge unusable.
- (2014): Dwarves construct walls from wrong side, wall themselves out of fortress or into alcove
- brewing. (2014): Embark-purchased fruit must be removed from bags before
(2016): Wounded dwarves die of dehydration if they grab a goblet they can't use
- Workaround: forbid all goblets so dwarves will drink straight from the barrels
- (2010): "Guts is bruised," "guts has popped out"