DF2014:Known bugs and issues
|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Dwarf Fortress is a constant work in progress, and is thus full of bugs. Some of them are minor and completely harmless, some are small and annoying, and some are major and even game-changing. Some of the best-known bugs are compiled below; an official compilation of all bugs, and their development status, can be found on the bug tracker and an informal poll of the worst bugs is available in the forums. Please do not report bugs here; they should be sent to the Mantis BT instead. If you have issues signing up for the bug tracker, see the forum bug tracker board for instructions (but don't report bugs on the forum either).
Some bugsby a temporary binary patch made by Quietust and other users; most of these fixes have been rolled into v0.40.
These bugs can significantly interfere with play.
: Morale is screwy.
- Partially fixed in 0.40.10. Bugfixes for morale are ongoing.
- Workaround: mod creatures to have natural Discipline skill
- Workaround: barracks training raises Discipline
- Workaround: continual exposure to sentient corpses raises Discipline (along with feelings of horror)
- : Scared traders immediately scuttle wagons and leave.
: Dwarves climb trees and fall out of them for no obvious reason.
- This may be partially fixed; more information is needed (see bug report).
- Workaround: make sure there is always at least one meeting zone or sculpture garden where dwarves can idle.
: Numerous problems reported with
- : Embark-purchased fruit must be removed from bags for use.
- : Many new crops are not fully implemented (and strawberries no longer work).
- Corrupted raws will remove brewing options from the still.
- : Hauling blocks brewing.
- : Hauled items are "unavailable" while a dwarf is lugging them across the map in a bin/barrel/etc.
- : Dwarves cluster around enemies but do not attack (may be caused by enemies changing z-levels and remaining "unreachable").
These bugs are new to v0.40. (There are many more; these are just a few of the most prominent.)
- : Already-felled trees "collapse" when mining under their former roots
: Dwarves occasionally attempt to perform jobs at a distance, with predictably poor results
- Related to marked as fixed in 0.40.07 -- #7274 needs verification.
- breed due to an unwillingness to marry. : Some 25% of animals won't
- : Sparring dwarves can knock each other through walls with charge attacks.
- : Creatures assigned to burrows/pastures can become accident-prone.
These bugs are not new to v0.40, but have been confirmed as still existing. Any workarounds that involve binary patches or DFHack will not work until those tools have been updated to the new version.
- wood cutting and combat, or a single pick for both mining and combat. Crossbows in the hands of hunters can also cause problems. : Military equipment interferes with civilian equipment (picks/axes/crossbows/quivers). It is not possible to use a single axe for both
- : Siegers waiting by bodies of dead leaders.
- : Nobles job priority is weird (trading, diagnose, talking with liaison and attend meeting jobs have extremely low priority). Many very necessary jobs get glutted out by insignificant things like hauling spare stone around, requiring labor management when you want something done.
- : Weapons, especially whips, cut through steel armor like butter.
: Pond/pool populations (e.g. pond turtles) do not replenish, gradually become
- Supposedly fixed in 0.40.01 but reported to still be happening with ponds (possibly a case of players being impatient and not waiting long enough, respawning of fish in ponds has been verified via !!SCIENCE!!)
- : Equipping weapons/armor on military is erratic. This is a long-standing bug that has been slowly but surely rolled back.
- Contaminant physics are strange in Dwarf Fortress; instead of washing away, when exposed to running water, it will actually multiply to other tiles. : Pools/smears/spatters of blood, dust and other materials multiply themselves, get tracked around too much.
- waterfalls and die from fall damage because they did not account for the current. : Dodging into river/lava/pit etc. Apparently, dwarves are stupid. Related: they tend to get thrown off of
- cleaning erratically at best. : Dwarves perform
- : Designating large areas for smoothing slows game to a crawl.
: When embarking on large area, DF hits 2GB memory limit and crashes.
- Workaround: Until a permanent fix is made, the player can use NTCore's 4GB fix, which will not only increase the memory limit, but will improve performance overall. (This is not a permanent solution for the devs; it could lead to unforeseen problems if incorporated within the .exe downloaded from the server.)
- doors causing lag. : Animals repeatedly path through "tightly closed"
- cages when the cages are ordered taken to the trade depot. : Untradeable creatures (hostiles, wild animals) are released from
- : Injured dwarf in bed in stocked hospital ignored by idle doctors. Medical jobs are too low-priority, and will be ignored in favor of pretty much everything else, hauling included, forcing players that need to administer medical care to disable all other labors; and even then, doctors tend to idle a bit in between their jobs.
: Names overwriting text with TrueType and strange gaps in report texts.
- Workaround: Hitting F12 to toggle True Type can often get you around this problem.