v50 Steam/Premium information for editors
- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
This notice may be cached—the current version can be found here.
Game folders and files
(Redirected from Game folder)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Default location depends on the game version, platform or operating system. It is possible that users change the install drive or directory, thus these locations may vary.
The game's installation folder is where all the game's content is stored. You might want to go to this folder for modding or screenshots, or to copy, modify or delete some saves.
- Dwarf fortress Classic is distributed in a zip archive. Depending on the operating system the game folder is either
df_##_##_win(with the version number, or the name chosen for the folder during extraction),
df_linuxand will be located where you choose to extract it. Essentially its where you run the game from. For example:
- Steam: The default locations are listed below. You can also find it through the app by right-click Dwarf Fortress in the Steam library and choose Properties, then go to the Local files tab and click Browse local files.
- Windows x86:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Dwarf Fortress\
- Windows x86 (alt Windows 10):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\
- Windows x64:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Dwarf Fortress\
- Windows x86:
- Itch.io: The default location is
Note: On windows
%APPDATA% is a hidden folder that points to
C:\Users\(Username)\AppData. You can use winkey+R and type 'appdata' to quickly jump there.
- Further information: Saved game folder
The Save game folder contains the save games and backup saves from the game.
- Classic: The folder is located within Dwarf Fortress gamefolder
(gamefolder)\saves\. Note: On a Windows system, if the game was installed in the 'Program Files' subdirectory, the folder is instead located at
C:\Users\(Your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\save.
C:\Users\(Your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\save. (If there's nothing here, check the "Classic" location above)
- Steam Deck:
- Further information: Modding
The mod folder is the game directory where mods are stored.
C:\Users\(Your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\Mods.
|Dwarf Fortress||: Installation folder|
|● sound||: Contains all audio and music files used in the game.|
|● vanilla||: Contains all the raw files|
|● mods||: Folder for manually installed mods.|
|● mod_upload||: Folder for uploading mods to steam.|
|● prefs||: Contains all game setting files|
|● save||: Contains all save game files.|