- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
|This article is about an older version of DF.|
Vermin are small creatures such as rats, bats, and lizards which are difficult to see, and also the type of fish which are caught by fisherdwarfs. They are below 2 kg (4 lb) in size, much smaller than cats. The presence of vermin can be noted if you are particularly observant, as they will occasionally blink into and out of view on the screen. The main distinctions between vermin and creatures are that vermin:
- Do not attack and cannot be engaged in combat or trigger traps
- Do not provide meat, bones and other by-products of butchery
- Do not breed, but "spawn", spontaneously appearing in their natural environment or biome[Verify]
- Some vermin are "hateable", meaning dwarves can have an anti-preference which gives them a negative thought when they see the hated vermin.
Vermin can be problematic as many types feed on stockpiles, thus making it more difficult to keep enough food and drink to survive. Vermin can be hunted by cats to reduce this problem, though the remains will still need to be removed.
Vermin can, however be captured in animal traps, and can be tamed as pets.
Dwarves will eat vermin if no food source is available, resulting in an unhappy thought.
See the vermin category page for a list of vermin.