- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
|This article is about an older version of DF.|
A pick is a digging implement / weapon that can be forged from most weapon-grade metals (excluding silver). Picks are essential for a properly functioning fortress: miners require picks to strike the earth, dig tunnels, carve staircases and everything else related to the removal of rock and soil tiles. You will need to purchase or create picks on embark as miners won't bring their own. Without picks, your dwarves will be stranded on the surface, forced to live like elves. The quality and material of a pick have no effect on its speed digging through rock; that depends solely on the user's Mining skill level.
Picks can also be used as weapons. They inflict EDGE type damage, tend to impale or dismember enemies, and gain damage bonuses by the user's Mining skill level. Picks are brutally effective, combining slashing and impaling and generally far better than anything that isn't a whip or scourge. Unlike when digging through rock, quality and material are both important when using a pick as a weapon. Since a steel pick can penetrate most armor, picks are effective weapons against any foe, armored, forgotten, bronze, or otherwise.
Forging and Melting
- Metal picks cost one metal bar to forge, or four adamantine wafers.
- When a non-adamantine metal pick is melted down, it will return 1.2 metal bars, for an efficiency of 120%.
- When an adamantine pick is melted down, it will produce 1.2 wafers, for an efficiency of 30%.
[ITEM_WEAPON:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] [NAME:pick:picks] [SIZE:500] [SKILL:MINING] [TWO_HANDED:47500] [MINIMUM_SIZE:42500] [MATERIAL_SIZE:4] [ATTACK:EDGE:100:4000:strike:strikes:NO_SUB:2000]
|Ranged and ammunition|
Flail · Mace · Maul · War hammer · Whip
Battle axe · Great axe · Halberd · Long sword · Scimitar · Scourge · Short sword · Two-handed sword
Dagger · Morningstar · Pick · Pike · Spear
|See also: Attack types|