Game folders and files
|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Note that some content may still need to be updated.
Default location depends on the game version, platform or operating system. It is possible that users will change the install drive or directory, thus these locations may vary.
- Dwarf Fortress Classic is distributed in a zip archive. Depending on the operating system the game folder is either
df_##_##_win(with the version number, or the name chosen for the folder during extraction),
df_linuxand will be located where you choose to extract it. Essentially its where you run the game from. For example:
- Steam: The default locations are listed below. You can also find it through the app by right-click Dwarf Fortress in the Steam library and choose Properties, then go to the Local files tab and click Browse local files.
- Windows x86:
C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\Dwarf Fortress\
- Windows x86 (alt Windows 10):
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Dwarf Fortress\
- Windows x64:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\Dwarf Fortress\
- Linux (via proton):
- Windows x86:
- Itch.io: The default location is
Note: On windows
%APPDATA% is a hidden folder that points to
C:\Users\(Username)\AppData. You can use winkey+R and type 'appdata' to quickly jump there.
- Further information: Saved game folder
The savegame folder contains the saved games, and backup saves from the game.
- Classic: The folder is located within Dwarf Fortress gamefolder
(gamefolder)\saves\. Note: On a Windows system, if the game was installed in the 'Program Files' subdirectory, the folder is instead located at
C:\Users\(Your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\save.
C:\Users\(Your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\save. (If there's nothing here, check the "Classic" location above)
- Steam Deck:
- Further information: Modding
The mod folder is the game directory where mods are stored.
C:\Users\(Your username)\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Dwarf Fortress\Mods.
|Dwarf Fortress||: Installation folder|
|● sound||: Contains all audio and music files used in the game.|
|● vanilla||: Contains all the raw files|
|● mods||: Folder for manually installed mods.|
|● mod_upload||: Folder for uploading mods to steam.|
|● prefs||: Contains all game setting files|
|● save||: Contains all save game files.|