|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Note that some content may still need to be updated.
A barracks is a zone designated for the purpose of housing, training, supplying and otherwise servicing your military. The barracks' options define how the zone will be used by the squads in your military. A single barracks may serve multiple squads.
Barracks are defined from a zone . Select Barracks, then using the zone paint feature, designate the area for the barracks. Once you've designated a barracks, you'll notice a list of the squads in your fort in the information pane. This is where you set which squad uses the barracks, and how. To do so, press and select the barracks zone, then select the barracks add squad button, then select the relevant activity for each squad assigned to the barracks:
- Sleep - assigned squads will be housed here, requiring that enough beds be placed in the barracks (one for each squad member).
- Training - assigned squads will train here. Note that marksdwarves assigned to the barracks will train in melee, including hammering, to train their ranged skill, they require an archery range instead.
- Individual Eq and Squad Eq - Each dwarf in a squad will use a separate container (such as a chest, cabinet or armor stand) placed in the barracks to store their equipment. As you place them, they will be automatically assigned to each dwarf.
The location of your barracks is a matter of great importance - they may often be the location where your military dwarves will be training, sleeping, or otherwise performing activities. It is important to consider where you expect your enemies (goblins, forgotten beasts, titans, etc.) to attack, such as entrances or focal points of your fortress. You may want to build your barracks relatively close to or outside of high-traffic areas, main entrances to your fortress, or chambers with traps in them. Planning ahead will allow you to react quicker to an invasion by hostile creatures and save more civilians in the process.
- Note that if a squad is scheduled to train, but lacking an assigned barracks, a dwarf's job will be marked as Soldier (no activity), leaving the squad with nothing to do.
- Civilians will not sleep in open beds within a defined barracks.