|This article is about the current version of DF.|
| This article or section may need to be updated due to recent changes.|
The Designations menu can be accessed byand provides the means to mark tiles with various designations including Mining, Wood Cutting, Plant Gathering, Stone Detailing as well as removing constructions, controlling traffic and other miscellaneous designations.
Ifis pressed when the view is centered on an outside/above ground tile, the designation defaults to Chop down trees - . If the view was centered inside/below ground, the designation defaults to Mine - .
To designate an area select the desired designation from the menu, pick a tile and press Z-levels, allowing 3-dimensional designations in the shape of a cuboid.to select one corner of a rectangle, then pick a second tile and press again to mark the other corner. This also works across
To cancel a designation use Remove Designations (). As of 0.40.20, all designations gained the ability to be prioritized. with 1 being highest and 7 lowest priority. Note that if two different designations have the same priority, one type may still be favored over the over. They also can now be assigned as "Marker only", which is similar to the job being suspended. Such designations will appear cyan on your screen.
Mouse controls: Left Click: paint, Right Click: move marker, Right click on screen border: Move screen. The main designations menu is mouse-enabled, but sub-menus are not.
 Designations Menu
- Mine (mined out. Removing stone/soil walls and leaving stone/soil floors. May leave stone/ore/gems. (req. Mining labor) ) - Mark tiles to be
- Channel (channeled out. Removing the stone/soil wall on that tile, the floor, and replacing the stone/soil floor below with a ramp. May leave stone/ore/gem. (req. Mining labor) ) - Mark tiles to be
- Remove Up Stairs/Ramps (Mining labor) ) - Mark tiles to remove natural ramps and dug ramps/stairs. (req.
- Upward Stairway (Mining labor) ) - Mark walls to be dug out and replaced with upward stairs (req.
- Downward Stairway (Mining labor) ) - Mark walls to be dug out and replaced with downard stairs (req.
- Up/Down Stairway (Mining labor) ) - Mark walls to be dug out and replaced with upward/downward stairs (req.
- Upward Ramp (Mining labor) ) - Mark walls to be dug out and replaced with upward ramps (req.
- Chop Down Trees (Trees to be chopped down. (req. Wood cutting labor) ) - Mark
- Gather Plants (Shrubs to be gathered. (req. Plant gathering labor) ) - Mark
- Smooth Stone (Stone detailing labor) ) - Mark stone walls to be smoothed. (req.
- Engrave Stone (Stone detailing labor) ) - Mark smoothed walls to be engraved. (req.
- Carve Fortifications (fortifications carved. (req. Stone detailing labor) ) - Mark smoothed walls to have
- Carve Track (minecarts. (req. Stone detailing labor) ) - Mark stone walls to be turned into track for
- Toggle Engravings ( ) - Mark tiles to display/hide engravings.
- Toggle Marker ( ) Unsuspend/Suspend a designation.
- Remove Designation ( ) - Remove all designation markings.
- Remove Construction (constructions to be removed ) - Mark
- Bulk designation of items: (
- claimed. : Reclaim Items/Buildings - Mark area of objects to be
- forbidden. : Forbid Items/Buildings - Mark area of objects to be
- melted. : Melt Items - Mark area of objects to be
- melt marking from area. : Remove Melt - Remove
- dumped. : Dump Items - Mark area of objects to be
- dump marking from area. : Remove Dump - Remove
- hidden. : Hide Items/Buildings - Mark area of objects to be
- hide marking from area. : Unhide Items/Buildings - Remove
- Set Traffic Areas ( ) - Traffic area values determine where dwarves will travel. Large values for cost mean that dwarves will avoid that area if at all possible; smaller costs mean they will prefer that path even if it is longer than “normal”.
- : High Traffic Area - Mark areas with the “cost” listed in “High Traffic Cost”
- : Normal Traffic Area - Mark areas with the “cost” listed in “Normal Traffic Cost”
- : Low Traffic Area - Mark areas with the “cost” listed in “Low Traffic Cost”
- : Restricted Traffic Area - Mark areas with the “cost” listed in “Restricted Traffic Cost”
- : Move between type of areas to change with .
- : Change cost by -5/-1/1/5.
 Designations modification
Mining, stair carving, and ramp carving can also be modified to change their behavior. These modifiers can be switched with.
- Designate all: Standard behavior.
- Automating Ore/Gems: Once this tile has been processed, all neighboring tiles will be marked for mining, if they contain ore or gems. Can only be designated on revealed ores/gems. Will appear green.
- Designating Ores/Gems: What it says on the tin. Only works on revealed tiles.
- Designating Gems: See above.