Updating to v50
AFAIK, it's yet to be seen how much Classic will resemble the new Premium versions, and hence how much of this material will be made completely redundant by the tutorial. What kind of purpose would we see this page being?
- update it and keep it as our own tutorial?
- retire it and try to merge useful pointers into Dwarf fortress mode?
- change it to be a "beyond the tutorial" guide? or an accompaniment to it?
- You're right. OK, I just played the tutorial. It's not that bad, and the UI is of course more discoverable now, but it's extremely barebones. Personally I think we should update this page and keep it as our own expanded tutorial - and in the process we should try to deduplicate some info and link more to dedicated pages on certain topics, so there's less to keep up-to-date. Tme5 (talk) 22:11, 22 December 2022 (UTC)
Best way to mention would be to have some note to the tutorial within the game, ask someone to look at that and then look at this guide. It being handholdy was exactly what was needed, but when people come here provide the service of helping people not experience early amounts of FUN by putting the refuse pile inside the fortress. REDthunderBOAR (talk) 22:47, 26 December 2022 (UTC)
There is one thing I would like to add to the tutorial since it will improve someone's experience with the game. As the video here shows the game is naturally at double the speed. If we show people how to slow it down it will not be so overwhelming. REDthunderBOAR (talk) 22:47, 26 December 2022 (UTC)
Feedback: UI (priorities/diplomacy?)
Hi! Thanks for the lovely quick start guide, however it assumes that I have any idea how to interact with trader. I have no idea what has happened just now, just some lines of text were shown, no trade was done, could not set the priority (assuming it is my priority) and then they just left... maybe next year lol --220.127.116.11 00:41, 29 August 2017 (UTC)
- There has been a link to the trade page for a while now. I reorganized the text a little. CLA (talk) 19:25, 6 September 2017 (UTC)
- There's no mention, here or on the trading page, of the negotiation screen that pops up where you set priorities for importing goods etc. I think this was a diplomat? But it says they should only show up once you have a baron...
- It happened to me too, and as an inexperienced player I was confused that it wasn't mentioned. Tme5 (talk) 19:22, 18 December 2022 (UTC)
Feedback: stone stockpile?
When/where should a stone stockpile be created? By this point, the guide suggests not including stone in a general purpose stockpile, but never suggests when/where to create stone stockpile.
Feedback: dining hall furniture
Guide describes construction 4 tables and 8 thrones for dining hall, however only one dwarf can make use of a table no matter how many thrones are placed around it, so this furniture layout doesn't function as intended.
Feedback: Delving Secure Lodgings
The newly-added screenshot of the trade depot location doesn't show a 1-wide, 10-20 deep hallway separating the stairwell and stockpile rooms from the outside world.
I added a section about init files to the v47 guide: https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Quickstart_guide#Init_Files
(mainly because I lost a bunch of progress due to not knowing about autosave, something I would like to spare future players from!)
However, I wonder if it's necessary to port forward to v50? For one thing the Steam "tiles" interface is presumably different from Classic, so there's maybe no need to talk about init.txt. And then the new d_init.txt defaults to autosave semi-annually (as opposed to 47's "NO") so maybe don't need to put that here either?
18.104.22.168 20:22, 3 January 2023 (UTC)
Remove trade depot from guide?
Since wagons don't come at the start of the game any more, should we remove the depot from the guide? Feels weird to include something unused in a quickstart. It could be mentioned in the "what's next" section instead. Tme5 (talk) 21:44, 12 January 2023 (UTC)