snotty good-for-nothing parasites dwarves appointed to office and rule over your fortress. They can make demands and set mandates which get in the way of the running of your fort, and get upset that other dwarves have nice rooms, but can also serve vital managerial roles. At least some of them.
Below are the room demands made by each Position. For details on Room values see: Room. It also lists the number of chests, cabinets, weapon racks, and armor stands they demand. Finally it shows the max number of demands and mandates they can issue at any given point.
|Baron||Decent Quarters||Decent Dining Room||Decent Office||Tomb||2||1||1||1||2||1|
|Captain of the Guard||Quarters||Dining Room||Office||—||1||1||1||1||—||—|
|Chief medical dwarf||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—||—|
|Count||Great Bedroom||Great Dining Room||Throne Room||Mausoleum||3||2||2||2||3||2|
|Duke||Grand Bedroom||Grand Dining Room||Opulent Throne Room||Grand Mausoleum||5||3||3||3||5||3|
|Mayor||Decent Quarters||Decent Dining Room||Decent Office||—||2||1||1||1||2||1|
|Monarch||Royal Bedroom||Royal Dining Room||Royal Throne Room||Royal Mausoleum||10||5||5||5||10||5|
|Sheriff||Modest Quarters||Modest Dining Room||Modest Office||—||1||1||1||1||—||—|
This shows various notes for each position taken from the raws.
- # - lists whether one or more dwarves can have this position. Duke/Count/Baron don't have a number listed, but each fortress can only have one.
- Squad - Lists the number and type of dwarf that this position leads
- Spouse - Is this noble's spouse also considered a noble?
- Heir - Is this individual replaced by an heir when they die?
- Appointed By - Which position appoints this person initially? Note that the player actually controls all appointments via the noble screen; this is, in effect, only which dwarf is necessary before the player can make the appointment.
- Replaced By - What position replaces this one?
- Pop Req - Minimum population required for this position to become available.
- Wealth Req - Minimum created & exported wealth (respectively) for this position to become available.
- Elected - Is this dwarf elected?
- Lazy - If this dwarf is lazy they won't do any regular work aside from pulling levers, deconstructing walls, and some other things. In all 0.34.xx versions, this appears to be broken, i.e. "lazy" nobles can still be assigned to perform any labor.
- Immunity - Immune dwarves aren't punished for any crimes.
- Econ Exempt - These dwarves don't need money to pay for goods or rooms after the Economy arrives.
- Military Screen Only - This position is only listed on the military screen.
- Jealous - These dwarves will become upset if their rooms are not better than those of "lesser" dwarves. They don't have to see the rooms to become upset, since they somehow just know such rooms exist.
|Position||#||Squad||Spouse||Heir||Appointed By||Replaced By||Pop Req||Wealth Req||Elected||Lazy||Immunity||Econ Exempt||Military Screen Only||Jealous|
|Baron||-||-||Yes||Yes||Monarch||Count||20||100k / 10k||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||Yes|
|Captain of the Guard||1||10:Fortress Guard||-||-||Exp.Leader/Mayor||-||50||-||-||-||-||Yes||-||-|
|Chief Medical Dwarf||1||-||-||-||Exp.Leader/Mayor||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||-|
|Count||-||-||Yes||Yes||Monarch||Duke||20||200k / 20k||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||Yes|
|Duke||-||-||Yes||Yes||Monarch||-||20||300k / 30k||-||Yes||Yes||Yes||-||Yes|
|Militia Captain||1+||10:Militia-dwarf||-||-||Militia Commander||-||-||-||-||-||-||-||Yes||-|
|Sheriff||1||-||-||-||Exp.Leader/Mayor||Captain of the Guard||-||-||-||-||-||Yes||-||-|
 Appointed noble selection
Appointed nobles are chosen by the player. There are certain social skills that are relevant for each appointed noble's job, and not all dwarves will gain experience in a given skill. In fact, some dwarves will never gain experience in certain skills. This is determined by each dwarf's personal traits, and it is therefore important to select the dwarf with the appropriate set of traits for each position:
Nobles may have impossible demands, like cardinal leather items or metal beds. Bug:944 (Feel free to arrange an unfortunate accident for the idiot in question) While no dwarves will get punished for not producing these items, it may enrage the noble.
 Selecting Squads which contain Nobles
Here's a link to the DF forum, where some SCIENCE on Nobles in Squads has been conducted. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113639.msg3467517#msg3467517