|This article is about the current version of DF.|
An item that is forbidden will never be handled by your dwarves. It is the opposite of reclaim. For example, stones that have been forbidden will not appear in the construction menu, and will not be used at workshops. If a forbidden object is on a build site, the building will be suspended and an announcement will appear informing the player that the build site is blocked.
 Forbidding items
- In order to forbid a specific loose item, use and scroll over the item you wish to forbid. Then press in order to toggle the forbidden state of the item.
- In order to mass forbid entire swathes of items, use the - - keys and designate items with either the keyboard or the mouse.
- With a bookkeeper, specific items and entire classes of items can be forbidden in the stocks screen.
- In order to prevent your dwarves from using a specific workshop or trap, press and forbid the materials that it is made of.
- Using the standing orders menu, certain items can be automatically forbidden (like fired ammunition and battlefield spoils).
 Uses of forbidding items
- Dwarves in strange moods can be directed to materials of your choice by selectively forbidding objects.
- Preventing dwarves from looting the bodies of your enemies (or friends) during a siege by forbidding items on the battlefield is generally a good idea. You can also go to the Forbid orders menu with - to make these items forbidden by default.
- You can use the mass designation tool to forbid items in sealed off areas in order to get a more accurate representation of available resources in your stocks screen. Don't forget to reclaim when it's time to go spelunking!
- Forbidding an item hauled by a dwarf will cause him to drop it once he realizes it is forbidden.
- Forbidding materials clears any in-process hauling jobs; using local materials can allow you to complete constructions much faster than hauling the materials to a central location then back out to the job site.
- Forbidding traps will prevent your mechanics from dashing out in the middle of a battle to reset them.
- You can forbid your good ammunition during peaceful times so that your dwarves instead use wood arrows for target practice and hunting.
 Getting Items Back
- Use to toggle the forbidden state of the item.
- The mass reclaim function - - can be used to regain access to forbidden items if needed. This is especially useful if you cannot directly toggle the forbidden setting of items. For example, claiming the weapons of an armed enemy in a cage is possible with mass reclaim (the - menu is not accessible for caged creatures).