40d Talk:Alchemist's laboratory
Any alternative products?
can it make anyhthing else other then soap? --Corhen
the name "alchemist" is very confusion, especially in regards to both alchemy and philosophers...
I'd prefer this to be called "Soap Maker" or at least "Chemist" Alchemy is something totally different. AlexFili 06:25, 9 May 2008 (EDT)
- From Wikipedia; The most common soap making process today is the cold process method, where fats such as rendered lard react with lye. Some soapers also practice other processes, such as the historical hot process, and make special soaps such as clear or transparent soap, which must be made with ethanol or isopropyl alcohol.
- They are called Soapers. Not Alchemists! --AlexFili 08:26, 16 June 2008 (EDT)
- Well, alchemy was the science of synthesizing new or interesting substances from more everyday materials; it was separated from smithing, glassworking, and other crafts by the fact that its products were basically useless (like silver salts). Today we commonly associate alchemy with the search for eternal life and turning lead into gold, but I suspect that like their modern-day counterparts medieval alchemists used the promise of longevity and riches to obtain funding.
- Alchemists were the forerunners to Chemists. The Philosopher's Stone was one of their pipe dreams. At present they've only mastered Soap, but I always try to build a laboratory in the hopes that in future releases, their Tech Tree will include more interesting things. Such as saltpetre, ammonia nitrate fertilizer, and oil; Oil + Soap = Napalm; milled saltpetre + milled sulfur (Brimstone) + milled charcoal = Gunpowder; Oil + Nitrate fertilizer = Explosive. Doesn't that sound like fun? It won't be safe to have them underground anymore! --Jellyfishgreen 10:39, 13 January 2009 (EST)
where is alchemy?
When constructing my Alchemist's laboratory it said "needs soap making or alchemy". Am i blind or is there no alchemy labor? Is this not yet implemented? Since you can make only soap, what would it be good for anyway? --Birthright 00:46, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- The job choice does not actually exist. Unless you use a utility to select it. Just a soaper should do. And for now Alchemy isn't finished as I recall.Shardok 08:13, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
- Sure, works with soap making. Just never noticed that needs alchemy bit. Ah well, haven't seen a wizard so far either ;) --Birthright 09:39, 20 August 2009 (UTC)
Can't you bring sand with you on embark?