|This article is about an older version of DF.|
The game definition of furniture differs somewhat from what one might expect or is used to from the real world. The most blunt definition is "anything that goes on a furniture pile". Elaborating from that, furniture is something that
- a building or construction can be made of: (mechanisms)
- is part of a building (mostly workshops, but also e.g. a well): (buckets, barrels, anvils)
- can be "built" from the beds, tables, and chairs, but also windows and coffins, among others. menu (and thus be placed in your fortress), including most "proper" furniture like
For completeness, and to further complicate matters, there are also a few items that are made from the furniture submenu of the metalsmith's forge, but don't go on a furniture stockpile:
Several furniture items have additional functions, like buckets (transporting water) and barrels (containing booze and food).
An important exception from the above is bins whose sole (but much needed) purpose is to increase the capacity of stockpiles, reducing clutter and hauling.
Furniture can be created at a variety of workshops. All furniture has a practical use in your fortress, though it is sometimes limited to looking nice (statues), creating a room from it or fulfilling a noble's demand (armor stand). Also, dwarves get good thoughts when admiring high quality furniture.
When starting a fortress, most furniture will usually be made in your Mason's workshop and Carpenter's workshop, depending on the materials used. You can also make furniture out of metal at a Metalsmith's forge, but this consumes more valuable and potentially rare materials. Some furniture can only be made from certain materials. For example, beds can only be made of wood. A few unusual types of furniture are made elsewhere, like mechanisms, siege engine parts and ammo, or glass furniture.
Furniture is produced at a workshop through its(view building) menu.
The function bins and barrels) are moved around as needed by your dwarves. Bags can serve either role: placing a bag turns it into a dwarf's personal storage, but bags for agriculture, clothing industry and glassmaking will be taken from the pool of bags that haven't been placed by the player.uild is not only used for building workshops and the like, but also for placing items like beds, tables and chairs in your fortress. Most furniture must be placed before it can be used, but a few (like
When you try to build a bed/door/chair and it says 'needs bed/door/chair', that means none is currently available, not that there has been a problem with producing one. Usually, brand new items are not immediately available because the item has been scheduled for storage in a stockpile.
 Building a door from scratch
- Go to your Mason's workshop and select it in view room ( ) mode and " dd task".
- Select " build rock door".
- Wait for a dwarf to fetch some stone and carve it into a door. You need at least one dwarf with the Masonry labor enabled. The higher the Dwarf's mason skill, the faster the door will be built (it will also be of better quality).
- Once the door is finished, then go to the space you want to build the door and press " uild".
- Select "stockpile and that no other door is available: you have to wait a bit. oor". If it says 'needs door', that means that the door you made is in the process of being stored in your furniture
- Select which door to put there, and press . The doors are listed in order of age.
- Move the cursor to precisely where you want the door to be, and press .
- Wait for a dwarf (with the Furniture Hauling labor enabled) to come and put the door where you want it.
 Building a bed from scratch
- Go to your Carpenter's workshop and select it in view room ( ) mode then " dd task".
- Select " Construct bed".
- Wait for a dwarf to get some wood and build the bed out of it. You need at least one dwarf with the Carpentry labor enabled. The higher the Dwarf's carpenter skill, the better.
- Once the bed has been constructed, then go to the space you want to place the bed and press " uild".
- Select "stockpile and that no other bed is available: you have to wait a bit. ed". If it says 'needs bed', that means that the bed you made is in the process of being stored in your furniture
- Select which particular preconstructed bed to put there, and press .
- Move the cursor to precisely where you want the bed to be, and press .
- Wait for a dwarf (with the Furniture Hauling labor enabled) to come and put the bed where you want it.
 Material requirements
- Stone and wood furniture is made from 1 stone or log.
- Most metal furniture requires 3 bars to forge, except for chains, animal traps, buckets, and blocks, which require 1.
- Glass furniture requires one bag of sand for green glass, one bag of sand plus one unit of pearlash for clear glass, and one unit of rough rock crystal plus one unit of pearlash for crystal glass.
 List of furniture, siege ammo, and other items used in buildings