From Dwarf Fortress Wiki
Gem cutting, Gem setting
|This article is about an older version of DF.|
- Cut Gems
- Encrust with Gems
 Common Uses
- Cut rough gems into something usable.
- Decorate objects with gems to make them more valuable.
- Make ordinary beds, cabinets, tables, etc. more aesthetic for better quality rooms.
- Rough gems are never as valuable as cut gems.Verify
- When adding a task to cut/encrust gems, the tasks are generally ordered by gem value, from least valuable to most valuable (in reality, they appear in the order in which they are defined in the raw file "inorganic_stone_gem.txt", which is roughly grouped by rarity). It's a good idea to let your Gem setter train with low-value gems (or glass which can be manufactured) and only use high-value gems when reaching the legendary status, as there's a much better chance they will score a masterpiece which is 12 times as valuable.
- The entire right column of the workshop is impassable, making it easy to accidentally trap dwarves inside the workshop after it is built.
 See Also
|Workshops & Furnaces|
|Workshops||Ashery - Bowyer - Butcher - Carpenter - Clothier - Craftsdwarf - Dyer - Farmer - Fishery - Jeweler - Kitchen - Leather - Loom - Magma forge - Mason - Mechanic - Metalsmith's forge - Millstone - Quern - Screw press - Siege - Still - Soap - Tanner|
|Furnaces||Glass furnace - Kiln - Magma glass furnace - Magma kiln - Magma smelter - Smelter - Wood furnace|
|Related Articles||Clutter - Kennel - Shop - Trade depot|