|This article was migrated from DF2014:Objective and may be inaccurate for the current version of DF (v50.11). See this page for more information.
|This article is about the current version of DF.
Note that some content may still need to be updated.
The basic point of Fortress mode is:
- Build/dig a place for your dwarves to work and live
- Ensure survivability by providing food and water/drink for every dwarf
- Provide basic comfort by building beds/quarters, a dining room
- Defend your fortress (traps/military)
- From the way Toady implements some features, have a lot of (twisted) fun
- Accumulate wealth
- Build and sustain a bustling full 220-dwarf fortress (this is already a bit "optional")
Most people prefer to do some/most of these steps:
- Expand the fortress to have specific areas for specific purposes (Bedrooms, workshops, farms etc.)
- Create various items for exporting (Trade)
- Create a working military
- Dig out the riches of the earth (mainly platinum, gold, gems, adamantine etc.)
- Create luxury for your dwarves and a generally grand and nicely smoothed fortress
- Make your fort self-sustaining and self-supplied
- Experiment with and experience the full depth of all game features
- Complete megalomaniac construction projects
- Experiment with and/or discover stupid dwarf tricks
- Kill elves
- Create the world's largest brewery
- Do it all over again with one skill-less dwarf in a terrifying biome
Ultimately, it's really up to your own imagination what you wish to do. After all, this game is an open-ended game. The possibilities are endless.
If you feel the need to play a more goal-based game, check out the list of game goals for suggestions.