v50 Steam/Premium information for editors
- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
This notice may be cached—the current version can be found here.
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|This article is about an older version of DF.|
- For a fuel-less alternative, see magma smelter.
The lifeblood of a fortress, a smelter is used to smelt ores and melt existing metal objects into metal bars. The smelter is also where lignite and bituminous coal are processed into coke. A dwarf must have the "Furnace Operator" labor enabled to use the smelter, and all smelter tasks require a bar of fuel.
If all options in a smelter are red, there are three possible scenarios to explain why:
- No fuel - find/buy coke or turn wood into charcoal at a wood furnace.
- The workshop is being specified as a "Give" destination from a stockpile that does not possess all of the necessary materials (including fuel).
- The smelter is located inside a burrow, while one of the necessary materials (including fuel) is not available in the burrow (this problem occurs even if no dwarves have been assigned to that burrowBug:434).
Glass furnace (Magma) · Kiln (Magma) · Smelter (Magma) · Wood furnace
Clutter · Kennel · Shop · Trade depot