|This article is about an older version of DF.|
The method for making steel may seem complex but it is an accurate representation of the process, and not too bad when the overall utility of the resulting material is considered.
The recipe for two steel bars is:
- One pig iron bar
- One chunk of hematite
- One chunk of limestone (flux)
- One bar of coke or charcoal (plus an additional unit of fuel if using a non-magma smelter)
When the above items are combined at a smelter, the product is two bars of steel; the refined coal and flux are consumed in the reaction, but the pig iron and iron are combined into steel.
In order to make steel from scratch, the following materials are needed:
- Two chunks of hematite
- Two chunks of limestone
- Two units of fuel (coke or charcoal)
- Three additional units of fuel if using a regular smelter
The following steps are performed to produce two steel bars from the above materials at a normal smelter:
- Make iron bars - 1 hematite + 1 fuel = 1 iron bar
- Make pig iron bars - 1 iron bar + 1 limestone + 2 fuel = 1 pig iron bar
- Make steel bars - 1 hematite + 1 pig iron bar + 1 limestone + 2 fuel = 2 steel bars
At a magma smelter, however, no fuel is required, reducing coal usage significantly:
- Make iron bars - 1 hematite = 1 iron bar
- Make pig iron bars - 1 iron bar + 1 limestone + 1 fuel = 1 pig iron bar
- Make steel bars - 1 hematite + 1 pig iron bar + 1 limestone + 1 fuel = 2 steel bars
Note that while pig iron is made directly from iron bars, steel must be made using hematite ore, so take care not to smelt all of your iron ore!
|Base||Copper • Gold • Iron • Platinum • Silver • Tin • Zinc|
|Alloys||Brass • Bronze • Electrum • Pig iron • Steel|