v50 Steam/Premium information for editors
- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
This notice may be cached—the current version can be found here.
Dwarf Fortress Wiki:Centralized Discussion/Move DF2014 talk pages to Main
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Proposal: for any Main article that doesn't have a talk page: move the talk page at DF2014 Talk to Talk and blank the old talk page. This can be done as an automated bulk action. Discord thread
- Years-old discussion from DF2014 may still be relevant today, or have useful links/tips for current editors. I always check the DF2014 talk page before making a new topic.
- Continuing old discussions requires adding to the DF2014 talk page or moving the conversation to the new talk page
- Creates talk pages for most Main articles, meaning new editors can add comments without being autoconfirmed
- Makes it less intimidating for new editors to leave comments when there's already pre-existing discussion
- Makes the wiki feel more active; empty/noncreated talk pages makes the place seem abandoned
- Most of the discussions on DF2014 are probably outdated. Some of them may have only been relevant to the 0.47 versions of the game.
—OddballJoe (talk) 19:17, 21 February 2023 (UTC)
- A related thought: tons of DF players use this wiki, but few edit it. When editing the wiki is suggested in discord conversations, the response is usually, "I don't want to edit it because I'm not confident in my info". It'd be good to try to find ways of encouraging people to point out issues in the wiki even if they aren't sure about it, and having welcoming/populated talk pages would help with that. I don't know if there's any google-docs-like comment extensions that could make providing feedback have an even lower barrier of entry. —OddballJoe (talk) 19:24, 21 February 2023 (UTC)
- I quite like the clarity of a fresh talk page for v50, but I think you make a good point about having to be confirmed just to create a talk page, as that seems like a somewhat arbitrary barrier. As you point out, previously it was moot that you would need to be confirmed to create a talk page as nearly every page already had one created. Is there a compromise that would negate this barrier to community engagement at least? Alpacalypse (talk) 19:04, 8 March 2023 (UTC)