|This article is about the current version of DF.|
The butcher's shop is used to slaughter tame animals, or to butcher the corpses or skeletons of slain wild animals. A tame animal can be designated for slaughter by either:
- pressing , moving the cursor over the animal and pressing - , or
- going into the animal list by pressing - , scrolling down to the animal, and pressing while it is highlighted.
Slaughtering is instantaneous once the animal has been led to the butcher's shop. Pets cannot be slaughtered.
Wild animal corpses, body parts or skeletons can be butchered as long as they are sufficiently close to the butcher's shop, and sufficiently large to yield results. Butchering is not instanteous.
A butchered animal results into various items with different uses:
|Meat and Prepared organs||Eaten raw or cooked|
|Fat||Cooked to tallow|
|Skulls||Crafting skull totems|
|Bones||Crafting bone armor, bone bolts, bone crafts, bone decorations, and strange moods|
|Hooves, Horns, Teeth||crafts and decorations|
|Shells||Crafting shell armor, shell crafts, shell decorations, and strange moods|
|Skin||Tanned into Leather|
|Wool||Spun into Yarn|
|Hair||Spun into thread, but not woven into cloth|
|Cartilage||Currently no uses.|
|Nervous tissue||Currently no uses.|
|Feather, Scale, Chitin, and Nail||Currently no uses.|
- Butcher a dead animal
Renders a dead animal into its component parts of meat, fat, skin, bones, and skulls. Usually used on animals that your hunter brings back, or tame animals you chose for slaughter. The animal must be in a stockpile (anywhere) or lying on the ground within 20 tiles of the edge of the butcher's shop in the same z-level (i.e. a 43x43x1 box centered on the workshop).
- Extract from a dead animal
Requires a caged fire snake, cave spider, or phantom spider and animal dissection. Contrary to the name of the task, the vermin must be alive (though it will be dead once the task is done). Produces liquid fire and venom, respectively.
- Capture a live land animal
 Common Uses
- Produce meat for food.
- Produce skin for leather.
- Produce bones for bolts.
 Helpful Strategies
 Hauling and stockpile considerations
One thing to beware of is that butchered creatures will practically explode into piles of meat, bones, fat, organs and more; this can quickly clutter up a butchers shop or risk rotting the entire pile if not enough haulers and a suitable stockpile are available. Refuse also can not be stored in containers, so every item will use up one stockpile tile. For any jobs, such as cooking meat, rendering fat, and carving bones, the entire stack will become tasked and unavailable to other workshops.
The initial corpse or body part must be in a stockpile close enough to the butcher's shop to automatically trigger the Butcher a dead animal job. Similarly, there is a maximum distance for the Tanner's shop to notice a skin and automatically trigger a Tan a skin job. It is not known precisely what "close enough" is, in either case.
 Clutter Reduction and Rotting Prevention
A good way to cut down on clutter and to prevent your butchered animals from rotting is to build a Quantum Stockpile right by your butcher shops and then place a stockpile at the bottom. This way as meat is produced you can order it dumped into the stockpile so it is stored easily and will not rot. To prevent rotten meat from producing miasma channel out a shaft above your butcher shops and build a wall around it on the surface. This way if meat rots it will not produce miasma.
- A butcher's shop is operated by any dwarf with the 'butchery' labor enabled.
- Corpses left to rot will become skeletons. Only those of wild animals (typically killed from hunting or traps) can be processed at the butcher's shop. Products will be bone, skull, hoof, horn and the like (no meat, fat, prepared organs or skin).
- Partial corpses as well as mutilated corpses do not provide the "full set"; the number of bones may be lower, organs may be missing.
- You can't butcher vermin fish, that is done at the Fishery. But you can butcher underwater creatures. For instance, you can butcher 'Carp corpse', but you can't butcher 'Oyster'.
- Tame animals that die by any reason, be it starvation, old age or violence, are unbutcherable. Bug:1275
 See Also
|Workshops & Furnaces|
|Workshops||Ashery - Bowyer - Butcher - Carpenter - Clothier - Craftsdwarf - Dyer - Farmer - Fishery - Jeweler - Kitchen - Leather - Loom - Magma forge - Mason - Mechanic - Metalsmith's forge - Millstone - Quern - Screw press - Siege - Still - Soap - Tanner|
|Furnaces||Glass furnace - Kiln - Magma glass furnace - Magma kiln - Magma smelter - Smelter - Wood furnace|
|Related Articles||Clutter - Kennel - Shop - Trade depot|