Types of containers the game knows are chests, coffers, boxes, cabinets, bags, barrels, large pots and bins. Only chests, coffers, bags, and boxes are explicitly called "container" in game as they can be placed as furniture by uilding (any of these 4 container types can be used to satisfy the "Needs: X Chests" requirement for nobles). All containers are used to hold items, from personal possessions to gems, alcohol, quarry bush leaves, and even living creatures, but their use is context-sensitive, so you cannot use your barrels for storing coins, but you can uild a bag as a dwarf's personal container, analogous to a chest.
Chests, coffers, boxes and bags are subsumed under boxes and bags in the status stocks screen; the other containers have their own entry.
To examine a container's contents when the container is in a stockpile, select the object location with the stocks.key. Then, use and until the container is highlighted, then press . Press again to select the contents, if any. The i ems command can be used to see items that are stored in a built container. See also,
 Barrels, bins, bags, pots
Barrels are wooden or metal containers that are useful for storing items in a food stockpile and are used to store alcohol, plants, seed bags, meat, fish, dwarven syrup, quarry bush leaf bags, flour bags and dye bags, cooked food in a stack of 10 or less, fat and tallow, and all prepared organs. They are made at a Carpenter's workshop with 1 log or at a Forge with 3 bars of metal. Pots, the stoneware equivalent of barrels, can also be used to store alcohol and other related liquids.
Bins are containers, again made from wood or metal, used for most non-food items. They are sent to all the other stockpiles (with the exclusion of the refuse, stone and graveyard piles) and will hold much larger stacks of items, making organizing those endless piles of +giant cave spider silk socks+ much easier to manage. They are made at a Carpenter's workshop with 1 log or at a Forge with 3 bars of metal.
Bags are used to store seeds, quarry bush leaves, mill products (flour, sugar, dye) and sand ("powders"). They are made from plant fiber (or silk) cloth, leather, or adamantine. Bags are used to gather and transport powders the same way buckets are used to carry water. Bags can be placed inside other containers, such as barrels. Bags can be placed as furniture and then function as coffers (see below). They are made at a Clothier's shop with 1 cloth or at a Leather works with 1 leather.
 Cabinets and "chests"
These two containers are both furniture items only. They must be built in rooms assigned to dwarves in order to function properly. Cabinets are used to store clothing, and chests are used to store everything else.
Also, the hospital needs containers for its supply-storage.
Their contents can be viewed with themenu.
 Quick Reference
|Container||Stockpile||Furniture||Solid Capacity||Liquid Capacity||Stores||Stone||Wood||Glass||Metal||Cloth||Leather||Other|
|Barrel||Furniture > Type > Barrels||No||10||100||Food, Alcohol4, Extracts4, Milk (25), Lye (10), Bags||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No|
|Large Pot||Finished Goods > Type > Tools||No||60000*||60000*||Food, Alcohol, Bags||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Ceramic|
|Bin||Furniture > Type > Bins||No||10||Items, Jugs, Flasks||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No|
|Bucket||Furniture > Type > Buckets||No||?||Milk, Lye, Water2||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No|
|Jug||Finished Goods > Type > Tools||No||10000*||Royal Jelly, Honey, Rock Nut Oil||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Ceramic|
|Finished Goods > Type > Flasks||No||3|| Alcohol, Water
|Backpack||Finished Goods > Type > Backpacks||No||3||Food||No||No||No||No||Adamantine3||Yes||No|
|Quiver||Finished Goods > Type > Quivers||No||?||Ammunition||No||No||No||No||Adamantine3||Yes||No|
|Furniture > Type > Boxes and Bags||Special||?|| Bags: Seeds, Leaves, Powders
Other: Owned items
|Cabinet||Furniture > Type > Cabinets||Yes||?||Owned clothing||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Nest Box||Finished Goods > Type > Tools||Yes||2000*||Eggs||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Hive||Finished Goods > Type > Tools||Yes||5000*||5000*||Honey Bees, Royal Jelly, HoneycombVerify||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||Ceramic|
|Animals||Yes & No||?||?|| Creatures, Vermin
|Animal Trap||Animals||Yes & No||?||?||Vermin, Bait||No||Yes||No||Yes||No||No||No|
|Furniture > Type > Coffins||Yes||?||?||Creature/Vermin Corpses/Remains||Coffin||Casket||Coffin||Sarcophagus||No||No||No|
|Weapon Rack||Furniture > Type > Weapon Racks||Yes||?||?||Weapons||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
|Armor Stand||Furniture > Type > Armor Stands||Yes||?||?||Armor||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No||No|
- 1 - Large Pots can be made from any hard material, including wood and metal
- 2 - Used to carry water, can store Milk and Lye but will be emptied into Barrels
- 3 - Backpacks and quivers can only be made from Adamantine cloth, though ones made from other cloth can be purchased from caravans
- 4 - Brewing and extracting can store any amount of liquid within a barrel or flask
- Large Pots are like Barrels but with different capacities.
- Bins are like Barrels but stores different stuff.
- Buckets are used for temporary storage of Milk, Lye, and Water.
- Jugs are mini containers for jellies and can be stored inside Bins, in this sense they are like Bags.
- Bags are mini containers for powders and can be stored inside Barrels/Large Pots if holding food items.
- Bags are like Chests/Coffers/Boxes made of cloth or leather, can be placed as furniture in the same fashion.
- Flasks/Waterskins/Vials are different names for the same containers depending on the material it's made from.
- Chests/Coffers/Boxes are different names for the same piece of furniture depending on the material it's made from.
- A terrarium can be designated as an Aquarium, a dwarf will use a bucket to fill it with water, if deconstructed it'll stay filled with Water and can even be sold with the water inside, the water costs 1☼ each, so you get 10☼ for the water.
- Hives won't get destroyed if you don't have a stockpile to place on of its products, you could use on the hive and dump the item to use it.
|Workshops • Furnaces|
|Rooms|| Barracks • Bedroom • Dining room • Dormitory|
Jail • Meeting hall • Hospital • Office • Sculpture garden • Tomb • Zoo
|Furniture||Animal trap • Anvil • Armor stand • Bed • Bin • Bucket • Cabinet • Cage • Coffin • Container • Restraint • Seat • Statue • Table • Weapon rack|
|Access||Door • Floodgate • Bars • Grate • Floor hatch • Bridge • Road • Window|
|Constructions||Fortification • Floor • Stairs • Ramp • Wall|
|Machine & Trap parts|| Axle • Gear assembly • Millstone • Screw pump • Water wheel • Windmill • Lever|
Pressure plate • Trap • Support
|Other Buildings||Archery target • Kennel • Shop • Siege engine • Trade depot • Wagon • Well|
|Related Articles||Design strategies • Bedroom design • Cave-in • Computing • Furniture industry|