Dwarf Fortress Wiki:Centralized Discussion/SkillsLaborProfessions
Jump to navigation Jump to search
I am a little confused about the use of some terms on the wiki.
(A) The Skill articles utilize an infobox with terms 'Labor', 'Job Title', and 'Profession'.
- With 'Job title' referring to the in-game 'profession' name. Regarded as profession title in profession->labor entry, which make the point of distinguishing it from Jobs.
- while 'Profession' refer to the in-game color coding. Regarded as professional category in Skill#Professions.
- This is a bit confusing, maybe a (1) different terminology should be employed in the infobox, or (2) a tooptip or link to relevant article should be added to the infobox. (3) possibly try for a clearer explanation of the basic terminology in labor.
(B) The lead of Skill articles is all over the place. Some articles focus on:
- the skill - "Miner is the skill", "The bowyer skill is used to"..
- Others focus on:
- the 'Job title' - "A Cook is a dwarf whose highest skill is in cooking."
- the 'Job title' using the term 'profession' - "A gem cutter is the profession of a dwarf whose"
- the person doing the associated labor e.g. Brewer: "Brewers brew .." "Butchers do the dirty job of killing.."
- Some use all the above but doesn't link to mining labor nor explain what associated profession is.
- Miner is the skill associated with both the mining labor and its associated profession.
- I think it might be best to (4) improve interlinking of all relevant article, making the treasure trove of information on the wiki more accessible, (5) figure out a more consistent lead based on input from experienced users here.