|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Extracts is a general term used to classify various types of substances derived from animals or plants. Non food extracts do not currently have a purpose in the current build except as export goods.
 Producing extracts
A variety of buildings allow you to produce extracts:
 Butcher's shop
Certain vermin will yield extracts at the butcher's shop by using the xtract from a dead animal task. Requires a living caged animal, a glass vial (metal flasks will not work), and a dwarf with the small animal dissection labor enabled.
- Fire snakes create liquid fire
- Phantom spiders create venom
- Cave spiders create venom
- Bark scorpions create bark scorpion venom
 Farmer's workshop
With the appropriate caged animal and a milker, barrels and buckets you can produce milk at the farmer's workshop.
- Live (untamed) purring maggots create Dwarven milk, worth 2☼ per unit
- Milk can be cooked to make food, or turned into cheese.
- 1 Valley herb makes 5 units of Golden salve, worth 100☼ per unit
Dwarven syrup is created via "Process plants (barrel)"
- 1 Sweet pod makes 5 Dwarven Syrup, worth 20☼ per unit.
- Syrup can be cooked to make food.
Milk is created via "Milk Creature," requiring an empty bucket, an empty barrel (or available space in an existing milk barrel), a mature, non-pet, milkable animal, and a dwarf with the milker labor enabled. See the milk and cheese pages for more details.
- 1 Kobold bulb makes 5 units of Gnomeblight, worth 100☼ per unit
With a living caged fish and a fish dissector, you can get extracts from our aquatic neighbors.
 Import only
Currently, there are some extracts that cannot be produced on site and need to be imported.
Various types of venom can also be purchased, but currently have no use:
Occasionally caravans will bring a barrel filled with some creature's blood, which has no current use either.
 See also
|Primary Industries||Beekeeping - Farming - Fishing - Gathering - Meat - Metal - Poultry - Stone - Wood|
|Secondary Industries||Alcohol - Armor - Arms - Ceramic - Extract - Finished goods - Fuel - Furniture - Gem - Glass - Paper - Soap - Textile|
|Tertiary Industries||Military - Health care - Noble - Trade|