- v50 information can now be added to pages in the main namespace. v0.47 information can still be found in the DF2014 namespace. See here for more details on the new versioning policy.
- Use this page to report any issues related to the migration.
|This article is about an older version of DF.|
Furnace is an umbrella term for different workshops that are used to heat materials, and that often produce only intermediary--products, items that are then used to create something else for the final product.
Every furnace must be built from fire-safe materials and designed by a building designer. It can be powered by fuel or, in the case of magma furnaces, by the heat from magma - if the latter, they do not consume the magma, merely must be over it. Magma furnaces must be placed with one of their edge tiles above magma with depth of 4 or more; this can be accomplished by digging a channel for the magma, or hanging it directly over open magma source.
All these are constructed using the Furnaces submenu (via b, e ).
See main articles for a full discussion, esp of magma versions.
- Shortcut: b, e, s
- Materials used: bituminous coal, lignite, ore, metal bars, flux, fuel (and metal objects to be melted)
- Items made: coke, metal bars
- Feeds into: Forges
- Shortcut: b, e, l
Magma versions use charcoal or coke for pig iron and steel production only. If the magma source fails, they cannot be powered by fuel.
- Shortcut: b, e, g
- Materials used: sand, pearlash, rock crystal, fuel
- Items made: glass objects
- Glass objects are final products
Magma glass furnace
- Shortcut: b, e, a
Magma glass furnaces must be powered by magma, and thus require no additional fuel. Produces same objects as a regular Glass Furnace.
- Shortcut: b, e, k
- Materials used: potash, ash, cassiterite, clay, clay loam, sandy clay, silty clay, fire clay, kaolinite, gypsum, alabaster, selenite, satinspar, fuel
- Items made: ceramic/clay items, pearlash and plaster powder
- Feeds into: pearlash for higher quality glass production
- Plaster powder is a final product used by healthcare professionals.
- Ceramic/clay (earthenware, stoneware, and porcelain) items are final products.
- Shortcut: b, e, n
Functions just like a regular kiln, but must be powered by magma instead of fuel.
Glass furnace (Magma) · Kiln (Magma) · Smelter (Magma) · Wood furnace
Clutter · Kennel · Shop · Trade depot
Barracks • Bedroom • Dining room • Dormitory • Jail • Meeting hall • Hospital • Office • Sculpture garden • Tomb • Zoo
Animal trap • Anvil • Armor stand • Bed • Bin • Box • Bucket • Cabinet • Cage • Coffin • Restraint • Seat • Statue • Table • Weapon rack
Fortification • Floor • Stairs • Ramp • Wall
|Machine & Trap parts|
Axle • Gear assembly • Millstone • Screw pump • Water wheel • Windmill • Lever • Pressure plate • Trap • Support
Archery target • Kennel • Shop • Siege engine • Trade depot • Wagon • Well