|This article is about the current version of DF.|
Islands are geographical features distinguished by isolation from main continents. Island fortresses are characterized by inaccessibility to most traders and invaders. Only civilizations located on the island, and your parent dwarf civilizations, will be able to make it to an island fortress. The only exception to this is if the island is in close enough proximity to land, and in a Cold or Freezing biome, so that the ocean is able to freeze and caravans are able to cross.
 Advantages of islands
- The lack of goblin and kobold civilization access makes your fortress a peaceful location to learn how to manage the game's less military aspects.
- No military interruptions makes it easy to build mega-projects.
- Easy access to a large body of water for underwater mega-projects
 Disadvantages of islands
- The lack of invasions can get dull. An idyllic island paradise is all very well and good, but without constant slaughter your dwarves will have nothing to engrave about except the vermin they like least.
- No non-dwarven caravans on most smaller islands. You won't be able to collect bins of crappy cloth nearly as effectively, and won't be able to collect large bronze helmets at all.
- Megabeasts, titans, and forgotten beasts can still arrive on an island. This can be exceedingly fun if a lack of other invaders led you to get complacent.
 Adventure Mode
Reaching islands can be a difficult challenge. One way would be to swim it, and brave the hazards of the ocean and climate. Another way would be to find a subterranean layer to cross it, but that may present another set of obstructions and dangers. You may also try to establish your own camps to build a bridge across the ocean tile, making the return trip much easier.
|"Island" in other Languages
|General|| World Generation (Basic / Advanced / Rejections) |
Climate - Surroundings - Map legend - Civilizations - Calendar - World activities
|Features||Aquifer - Brook - Island - Tunnel - Road - Volcano - Waterfall|
|Biomes|| Chasm/Caverns - Desert - Forest - Glacier - Grassland - Lake - Mountain |
Murky pool - Ocean - River - Savanna - Shrubland - Tundra - Wetland
|Sites|| Dark fortress - Dark pit - Forest retreat - Fortress - Hamlet - Hillock - Mountain halls - Town |
Camp - Cave - Hell - Labyrinth - Lair - Shrine - Ruins - Tomb - Tower - Vault
|Structures|| Catacombs - Dungeon - Keep - Library - Market - Mead hall |
Sewer - Tavern - Temple - Tomb - Underworld spire